Saturday, January 17, 2015

Greater than three


While studying abroad, I found myself reflecting on the experience as an intense sociological experiment on human interaction and relationship building. What I love most about going abroad, going abroad with a group, is that regardless of where one may be in the world, people’s behavior and habits are intensified because of the fact that they are in a new/unknown environment for a finite amount of time. Now, I find myself not abroad but on a service trip to New Orleans, Louisiana, with a group whom I previously considered strangers. The emotional experience of this trip is similar to that of going abroad and I can’t help but notice their similarities.

It’s been four days but I can officially say that I am in love with everyone on this trip. It’s amazing how the combination of being far from friends and family as well as being confined in small spaces will force people to bond in record time. The trust that has developed between the 15 participants of this experience is admirable and I appreciate the group so much for investing so much of themselves in this our time here. The personalities are unadulterated.


It says a lot about people – our ability to open ourselves to strangers, to let them into our complicated lives. During this trip, at the end of each day, while we may seclude ourselves to our own thoughts and feelings, and while we may consider our vulnerabilities and occupy ourselves worrying about whether or not we were being judged, each person still has managed to wake up the next morning, without acting differently or hiding anything come the new day. It’s beautiful really. Yes, I am rambling a bit and yes this is a cheesy wreck but I write it with the most sincerity. I am looking forward to this last half of our alternative break trip, and dread the day that it ends. Shout-out to all NOLA AB participants: thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment